14.5 C
Monday, July 15, 2024

Latest Posts

A scruffy win for Liverpool takes them back to nine points behind leaders Manchester City

Fabinho scored the only goal in the game at Turf Moor as Liverpool just about beat the bottom of the league side.

It certainly was not a 90 minutes that had you on the edge of the seat by any stretch of the imagination.

The first half was largely dominated by Burnley as they created the better chances and put a lot of pressure on Liverpool’s backline.

Alisson Becker was the goalkeeper who had to make the first save as he pushed a long-range effort shot wide from Josh Brownhill.

It took until the 20th minute mark for Liverpool to have their first shot on target which emphasised how it was a slow start to the game for Jurgen Klopp’s side.

Naby Keita connected poorly with the ball on the edge but Nick Pope still had to dive quickly to his right to stop it making its way in.

The resulting corner ended up with Wout Weghorst through on goal for the home side but his dinked attempt was off target and did not have enough pace on it either as Alexander-Arnold was able to clear.

VAR halted play as before the counter-attack Mo Salah had gone down in the box and it looked like he had been blatantly tripped, but for some reason it was not given.

Ten minutes later Pope was needed yet again to keep the game goalless as he denied Sadio Mane from scoring on his return from AFCON.

Alexander-Arnold’s free-kick delivery allowed Mane to strike first time, but Pope stood tall and Mane’s rebound went into the side-netting.

Soon after that massive chance Weghorst was yet again being a nuisance as Burnley kept finding him with their trademark over the top through balls.

Twice he was found through on goal with his first attempt going off target as he was rushed by Joel Matip then the second one Alisson dealt with expertly even though the flag eventually went up.

Liverpool were certainly under the cosh but against the run of play they took the lead with five minutes before the interval.

Alexander-Arnold corner found Mane in acres of space, and he flicked it on to find Fabinho.

His initial shot was saved by Pope, but he squeezed the rebound in to give Liverpool the lead to make it a more pleasing half-time talk from Klopp.

The game turned very flat in the second half with neither side making any clear-cut opportunities.

Ben Mee was the closest to scoring but in his own net with ten minutes to go.

Alexander-Arnold was found after making a delightful run in the inside left channel and his pull back was met by Mee who nearly got his clearance all wrong.

Substitute Diogo Jota should have finished the game of as Salah played him in but he could not finish as he was put under pressure and the ball went harmlessly wide.

It didn’t matter in the end though as Liverpool got a vital three points to keep Manchester City in sight, just about.Next up for The Reds is a return to Champions League action on Wednesday against Inter Milan.

READ MORE: Player ratings: Liverpool cruise to victory against Leicester City

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.