Following the installation of terracing, the jaw-dropping scale of Everton Stadium’s steep-tiered south stand is now visible for the first time.
Almost all of the double-stepped concrete terracing units in the stand, which will eventually house over 13,000 Evertonians, are now in place.
The next major visual change will be the installation of blue seats in the upper sections as part of an ongoing project that has spread across the north stand and aims to have them installed across the entire upper tier of the bowl by Christmas.
Externally, the south stand has a new façade thanks to the installation of glazing in the second-level concourse. The angled panels that span the entire face of the stand were designed to reflect the water from the adjacent Nelson Dock and help tie the stadium into its maritime surroundings.
Meanwhile, the first massive speakers have been installed in the north stand’s roof spaces. As part of the PA system, the curved units will be hung from all four stands.
This coincided with the departure from the site of the last 600-tonne crawler crane, which was primarily used in the complex roof construction.
A service tunnel, which had been left open in the east stand to provide vehicular access to the pitch area, will be closed off now in preparation for the installation of lower terracing units.
Work also continues on the historic Hydraulic Tower and Engine House restoration.
The buildings, which date back to 1883, have been lovingly restored with existing and salvaged brickwork, new zinc roofing, and windows that are sympathetic to the original design.
A decorative capstan was reinstalled at the Hydraulic Tower’s entrance this week, as a nod to the building’s historic significance in the dock’s rich maritime history.