Despite the challenges and immense pressure of the past 12 months, three teams at Liverpool University Hospitals have been recognised for their commitment to patient care in being shortlisted in four categories at this year’s HSJ Value Awards.
These nominations recognise the efforts of these teams in improving the quality of care for their patients through implementing new ways of working:
Ambulatory Home Ventilation service
- Nominated in Respiratory Care Initiative of the Year
- The Home Ventilation team based at Aintree University Hospital have transformed the way patients start home mechanical ventilation, meaning they no longer need to spend several days as an inpatient at the start of their treatment.
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) team
- Nominated in Acute Service Redesign: ‘CPAP outside the walls of Critical Care – COVID-19’ project
- The collaborative service addressed the influx of patients with severe respiratory failure due to COVID-19, successfully preventing capacity issues and allowing the Trust to continue providing lifesaving treatments.
Liverpool Integrated Heart Failure Multi-Speciality Multidisciplinary team
- Nominated in Cardiovascular Care Initiative and HSJ Value Pilot Project
- Believed to be the world’s first meeting of this kind, the monthly virtual meeting brings together all the expertise from primary, secondary and tertiary care services needed to plan every aspect of care for a group of patients who typically have a significant number of health concerns that affect multiple organ systems.
Steve Warburton, Chief Executive at Liverpool University Hospitals, said:
“We are immensely proud of all our colleagues for their outstanding contribution to the health of our communities this past year. It’s excellent to see that this commitment to patient care through hard work and innovation has been recognised in the HSJ Value Award shortlisting.
“Congratulations to all involved – to be shortlisted from doubtless hundreds of entries, celebrates and recognises the exceptional quality of care our colleagues provide to our patients. I wish our three teams the best of luck.”
HSJ editor, Alastair McLellan, said:
“We would like to congratulate the teams at Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on being shortlisted in four categories at the HSJ Value Awards 2021. This year’s finalists have not only contributed to the continued fight against the COVID-19 pandemic within the NHS, but have also been exceptionally dedicated to enhancing healthcare across the UK.
“We are honoured to be recognising and celebrating their outstanding work after what is, no doubt, the most challenging year in the history of the NHS. We are looking forward to welcoming them to the ceremony in September.”