A £1 Million pound stimulus programme has been launched to help regenerate a key area of North Liverpool in a unique partnership involving Everton Football Club and Merseyside Police.
Liverpool City Council has set out a 10-year masterplan for the County District Centre, the historical retail heart of the Walton community, after it was awarded £1million from the Liverpool City Region Town Centre Fund.
The city council has joined forces with the local community and key stakeholders such as Everton FC, to deliver an innovative programme based around seven kick starter projects.
The focus of the projects is to “remember, reimagine and revitalise” the district centre of County and Walton Road, in the County and Kirkdale wards, which is situated very close to the world famous football stadiums of Goodison Park and Anfield.
The L4 community also lies just 3 miles to the north of Liverpool city centre and is connected to it by the A59 (County Road) which is currently undergoing a £4.5m upgrade.
Launched today, the seven strands of the Country District Centre masterplan are:
- The Vision – Setting the ambitions of the district centre for the next ten years.
- Enterprise, employability and training – Creating a space for entrepreneurs and businesses to grow working in partnership with Everton in the Community.
- Community Hub – Refurbishing Spellow Library to be a multi-service inclusive space for the community, providing Adult learning, Children services and business support.
- Business Fund – A small grant for businesses to improve their business, properties and re-open following Covid-19. Due Spring 2021.
- County Community Police Team – In partnership with Merseyside Police the fund has created a dedicated police team for businesses, residents and the community.
- Creative Community – Culture Liverpool will be working with artists to bring art, creativity and community cohesion to the District Centre.
- Christmas on County – the fund will aim to bring a spectacular Christmas display for the community in December 2021.
The £6 million Town Centre Fund was established by the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority to provide up to £1 million for each of its six local authorities, to support plans to revitalise town centres across the city region.
Everton and Everton in the Community have a track-record of community-led partnership regeneration in L4. The Club and its official charity, Everton in the Community, has invested more than £10m in bringing to life the Everton Free School and Football College, The People’s Hub, where some of the charity’s award-winning programmes are delivered from and The Blue Base – home to programmes for the elderly and disabled.
The County District Centre vision document can be found at: www.regeneratingliverpool.com/project/county-district-centre/
The public are also encouraged to email their thoughts and ideas to the County District Centre team via email at: CDCTeam@liverpool.gov.uk