14.1 C
Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Latest Posts

Southport FC ease to pre-season victory over Crosby’s Marine FC

On the hottest day in the United Kingdom since recording began these two Merseyside non-league clubs faced each other in preparation for the new campaign.

Southport ended up winning with ease to ensure their pre-season had a sparkle on it as the end score was 3-0 to the home side.

The game took its time to get going with Southport goalkeeper Tony McMillan going on a surprise little adventure outside his box before having to kick the ball out of play.

Nyal Bell had the first half chance for Southport on the edge of the box but he curled his effort harmlessly over.

Marine’s first effort of the match came from Mo Touray again on the edge of the box his shot was dragged wide with McMillan not troubled.

A few minutes later former Liverpool youth striker Jack Dunn, who scored the goal to win promotion for Marine last season, had a free-kick for the away side but he couldn’t quite connect with it and it flew well past the post.

After those couple of chances for Marine Southport started to pile on the pressure with left-back Jack Doyle being the main threat with his delicious crosses into the area.

One of them found Jordon Archer’s head with the ball going the wrong side of the post.

The deadlock was unlocked though with five minutes left of the first half and it came through Jack Doyle’s creativity this time from a long throw-in which reached the six-yard box before Bell flicked it in.

It didn’t take long for the home side to increase their lead in the second half as in the 49th minute captain Chris Doyle headed into the top left hand corner at the back post after a cross in form the right.

Midfielder Tyler Walton nearly made it three a few minutes later with a shot going just wide after a neat little drag back to create the space for himself then in the very next attack Trialist B ran to the touchline on the left wing and came even closer with his shot but it wasn’t close enough.

The second half carried on to be all Southport with Marine struggling to get out their own half with another set piece going just wide just before the hour mark.

Another set-piece was the away sides kryptonite as George Newell scored an absolute bullet of a header to make it three nil.

Newell had another fantastic opportunity to get his second of the game with six minutes to go but he blazed the ball over the bar after scuffing his first attempt.

With the game coming to an end Marine goalkeeper Bayleigh Passant made an impressive save down to his right to stop a free-kick on the edge.

The goalmouth action ended there with Southport bouncing back from their defeat to Tranmere a few days ago winning comfortably by three goals to nil.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.