19.8 C
Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Latest Posts

A second half capitulation from Everton against Brentford delays confirmation of survival

The fans gave Everton players everything they had today, and the players looked like they were going to give everything they had as well.

That was until a contentious referee decision went against The Toffees which led to them playing 70 minutes with ten men.

Also a second half capitulation meant that safety could not be secured yet as Brentford done the double over the blue side from Merseyside.

In the opening ten minutes Everton were all over The Bees and they got their reward for it with Richarlison and Dominic Calvert-Lewin just about getting the ball over the line between them after a free-kick delivery from Anthony Gordon.

The stadium went stark mad as multiple flares were let off making sure a cloud of blue engulfed the players.

Eight minutes later though the emotions changed to what they have been for the majority of the season, worry.

One hoof up the pitch saw Ivan Toney through on goal and before he could take aim he went tumbling down after getting caught by Jarrad Braithwaite.

The 19-year-old saw red however players in blue protested against it as they believed Richarlison was fouled in the penalty area in the build-up.

VAR checked and agreed with referee Michael Oliver’s on field decision so the free-kick stood and Christian Eriksen stood over it.

He attempted to beat Jordan Pickford at his post and the ball whistled just wide.

That worry around the ground was increasing and on the 37th minute it was clear to see why.

An own goal from Seamus Coleman levelled it up as he attempted to block an effort from Yoane Wissa.

Brentford built on that and looked like they would take the lead sooner rather than later as Eriksen floated a delicious pass over the Everton backline right onto Toney’s foot however he could only volley it straight at Pickford.

Shortly after Bryan Mbuemo cut in on his left foot and made Pickford work again as he had to parry out the shot which was destined for the top corner.

Against the run of play just before the interval Everton had a major chance to steal the lead back as Richarlison was pulled in the box yet again and this time went down meaning Oliver gave the spot-kick.

The Brazilian stepped up and calmly clipped the penalty home, those nerves and those worries evaporated for a bit until they came back out for the second half as now there was something to lose.

That something to lose was confirmation of Premier League safety.

And oh, how did they lose it.

Frank Lampard must have said to drop back and defend the lead which was so naïve as one of the best playmakers from the last ten years was dictating attack after attack.

Eriksen was on the edge of the box making sure Brentford’s forward play was fluent and it paid off massively.

In the 62nd minute Wissa was a pain in Everton’s side again and this time it was definitely his goal as he delightfully glanced a header in from a corner.

All even yet again.

But it was not for long as two minutes later left-back Rico Henry got into the box and nodded home Christina Norgaard’s inch perfect cross.

In the space of a few minutes Everton went from staying up for sure to being right back in contention of going back to the Championship.

What summed up the catastrophic second half performance was Salomon Rondon’s four minute cameo.

The Venezuelan came on didn’t touch the ball and jumped into a two footed challenge making the blues go down to nine men.

Watford and Brentford should have been the games that made sure Lampard could relax and prepare for next season.

They may be the games that sink Everton once and for all even though their supporters are trying all they can to drag them over the line.

Crystal Palace and Arsenal are left, points are needed and the fight the fans brought will be needed more than ever.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.