12.7 C
Liverpool
Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Latest Posts

Liverpool’s iconic Cavern Club awarded further Government Culture Recovery Fund

Liverpool’s iconic Cavern Club has received news that the world-famous live-music venue is one of 2,700 recipients to benefit from the second round of the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund.

The awards made by the Culture Secretary will help organisations look ahead to the spring and summer and plan for reopening and recovery. After months of closures and cancellations to contain the virus and save lives, this funding will be a much-needed helping hand for organisations like The Cavern Club transitioning back to normal in the months ahead. 

The Cavern, voted as one of the UK’s top landmarks from 2016 – 2019, attracts 850,000 visitors from around the world each year and greatly contributes to Liverpool’s Beatles tourism industry worth over £90m per year to the City. The Club has been losing £30k per week since last March due to the coronavirus pandemic and has only been able to open its doors for three weeks during that time. 

Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said:

“Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they’ve ever faced.

Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors – helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the better times ahead.”

Cavern Director Bill Heckle said:

“This welcomed funding of £260k ensures that we will be able to continue trading for the foreseeable future and believe we will emerge from this pandemic “raring to go”. It is essential support to the Company, which now thankfully will further protect over 90 jobs locally.“

The historically thriving Cavern was awarded £525k by the Government back in October 2020 as part of their unprecedented financial commitment to supporting cultural, music and arts venues who have been hugely impacted by the pandemic. Such funding provided essential financial resources to sustain the business during closure and allowed the Cavern to embark on a new digital streaming venture in November last year, which has provided vital work for musicians and technicians and connected with music fans all around the world. Now, with the latest award, the Cavern’s road to recovery and reopening looks brighter.

Events director Jon Keats said:

We thank the Arts Council for awarding us this funding which is vital not only to sustain The Cavern as a venue but also the many Cavern musicians who are self-employed. It will secure us through to the summer when we hope we it will be safe to operate without such limited capacity” 

The Cavern aims to reopen its doors to the public on 17th May, providing the Government’s road map out of covid is on track. Plans will see the return of Cavern City Tours’ immersive attractions and experiences including daily live music on the world-famous Cavern stages, Beatles sightseeing tours and quality dining in the Cavern’s ‘Festival’ restaurant to a reduced, socially distanced audience.

Further plans include the return of much-missed, sell-out, Cavern Club Beatles show in the Cavern’s Live Lounge from 25th June. And with them, they introduce former Bootleg Beatles’ band member Adam Hastings as their new ‘John Lennon’. 

Further information about the Cavern’s reopening plans and bookable events can be found at www.cavernclub.com

Customers are advised to check the ‘Know Before You Go’ information on www.cavernclub.com for regular updates regarding covid-safe operational measures and customer requirements before booking.

READ MORE: All Things Beatles!

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.